Based in Vancouver, BC, Canada, KP is currently searching for an Artistic Director to lead the company in its 2022 Season activities, including its mainstage, self-produced presentations. The individual will work in conjunction with the Board of Directors to ensure alignment with the artistic vision and to ensure appropriate support is received to execute the vision. This includes support to create the season plan, schedule, and set/costume/props requirements.
- Create and develop original choreography based on traditional Filipino folk dance forms for KP’s dance presentations to be performed for the stage
- Uphold the artistic integrity of the company, build upon its artistic vision, and set the foundation for consistent, high-quality performances
- Compose dance pieces designed to suggest story, interpret emotion or educate
- Re-stage dances that are currently a part of the traditional Philippine folk dance cannon and KP’s repertoire
- Collaboratively works with KP’s musicians to create a cohesive dance and music presentation, offering direction and guidance
- Instructs and lead studio rehearsals in cooperation with Dance Assistants
- Acts as a resource and mentor for other Dance Assistants and dance leads
- Audition prospective performing artists for new company members
- Direct dance presentations and performances
- Works with KP’s Costume Director to define costuming requirements
- Develops creative proposals for consideration by KP’s Board of Directors
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong background in and passion for traditional Filipino folk dance and music
- Ability to work with artists with a range of dance and music backgrounds and abilities
- Experience directing dance presentations designed specifically for the stage
- Strong leadership skills
- The time commitment is estimated at 6 to 8 hours/week for six (6) months; during the performance period, time commitment is expected to be greater.
- This is a volunteer role with an honoraria. This is a project based engagement for KP’s 2022 artistic season. An honoraria will be provided based on the completion of successful milestones which include KP’s 2022 mainstage presentation.
- The ideal candidate must be physically located in the Greater Vancouver Area of British Columbia, Canada.